Sunday, November 29, 2009

Don Kingfisher Campbell

BEFORE THE DELUGE

there is a smell
of moisture in the air

it fills my nostrils
touches my arms

with cool pleasure
of presence/presents

like getting ready
to jump into

an unchlorinated pool
until that first drop

hits the skin
distracts me

a gentle poke
and I wonder

do these water balls
sink through

my protective layers
I feel wetness

soak my hair
I'm like a dog

wag my invisible tail
stick out my tongue

yet I'm also wearing
clothes in this shower

watch my vinyl jacket
become slick as a street

why--I could do this
at home under the

plastic vibrating head
but it wouldn't be

the same as being
surrounded by trees

all merrily taking in
the pummeling

beside me standing
near the darkened

sidewalk seeing
asphalt turn black

sky a wholly thick
cloudy mass

miles across
while I am

one stalk of many
collecting

like a cactus
on the outside

still lake on the in
where 75% of my body

holds, understands
the majesty of absorbing

the same elements
I was born of


FOR A YOU TUBE VIDEO OF ME PERFORMING THIS POEM, GO TO >
http://www.youtube.com/user/InfinityLimitedPress?ytsession=bqFhdXktxjJDBJxWNbMFkx99Rgh4hm9hHo_PzwvLxjRMI_mXQxKgnaHS-flmfD3xrQ4jRsFEpM5xlAW18FzUQEL1Z8tLxyJD9w8yfkqu3XWsFJGrkWJBkJQHv0fHHZsK0zc1Y2SWb5bHUug-tPBFn3fx7w517b9-5MhOQgLDdl7VxiRvaxxaOjWYzpZJfsDI6LAUqAOGPMe5VXEjxx38atHBYNvQ2K_q8kWWJ6K59r2HQNsgQwx8D0GjzVj2m-Zhnaa155QzxYhpgcImii1E0LGhhD9_5u4vFqBG0xwBNrY

2 comments:

  1. from Phil Turner:

    I like your poem 'Before the Deluge.' Your work is always musical and extremely detail-oriented. Here you also manage to capture a very deep idea in your patented modern way, which grants your words great reality. Your work is extremely accessible and has much to teach about the idea of capturing an experience through sensory detail, something that every real poet should know how to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. from Sonya Sabanac:

    Hi Don,
    I read your poem and it is truly wonderful. I do not know about other submissions, but this one rightfully deserved its publishing:)

    Best

    Sonya

    ReplyDelete